General Manager, Agency Safety Management Opportunity with the Port Authority in Jersey City, NJ 1/12/2024
Job ID: 61323
Department: Office of the Chief Health & Safety Officer
Location: Port Authority Technical Center, 241 Erie Street, Jersey City, NJ 07310
The Office of the Chief Health & Safety Officer (OCHSO) plays a vital role in furthering the mission of the Port Authority, by ensuring the workplace meets all occupational health and safety legal expectations and actively supports the highest quality occupational health and safety programs to ensure the safe movement of the Port Authority’s customers, partners, employees, and stakeholders every day.
Agency Safety Management in the Chief Health & Safety Office develops and maintains safety, fire protection and, occupational health programs to avoid, reduce and control losses, injuries, and illnesses.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is seeking an experienced safety professional who has proven leadership in safety management positions and superior interpersonal and communication skills to serve as its General Manager, Agency Safety Management.
Reporting to the Director, Health and Safety, the General Manager‑Agency Safety Management will oversee and provide leadership to the Agency Safety Management Division of the Office of the Chief Health and Safety Officer. The General Manager is responsible for direct oversight and management of Port Authority safety operations, programs, and staff to ensure regulatory compliance and continual improvement in safety culture and facilitate a safe environment for our employees, contractors, tenants, and patrons.
Under the direction of the Director, Health, and Safety the selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing, strategizing, leading, and mentoring staff in the focus areas of Safety Assurance, Safety Risk Management, Safety Policy, and Safety Training, Promotion and Technology.
- Serving as direct contact for safety related concerns that must be addressed via internal safety reporting platforms, or from other external regulating bodies.
- Providing routine briefings to the Chief Health and Safety Officer and Director on key Agency safety initiatives, participating in executive level working groups and committees, and immediately communicating emergent situations as they arise.
- Liaising to external partners such OSHA, DOH, jurisdictional emergency responders in support of the Agencies Authority Having Jurisdiction status.
- Supporting member of the Port Authority Safety Board, AirTrain Safety Oversight Board, and High‑Tension Electrical Board.
- Coordinating daily with the PA Law Department Litigation and Claims Divisions, PA Police Department and Office of Medical Services.
- Working closely with both staff and line departments on critical Agency initiatives.
- Responding to emergencies and critical incidents and conducting facility visits to address safety related matters.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's degree in Safety Management, Transportation, Public Policy, Fire and Life Safety or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten (10) years of full‑time experience with at least 5 (five) years of field experience applying safety methodologies and leading safety functions including auditing, compliance, safety system management, field inspections and quality control.
- Experienced in initiating accident investigations, litigation processes, and various OCIP insurance programs.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree in Safety Management, Occupational Health, Public Administration, Transportation or related field.
- Experience applying methodologies, practices, and skills in a large, multi‑faceted, fast‑paced organization or governmental body is preferred.
- Possesses professional safety certifications or licenses (e.g., CSP, CIH, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge of both US Department of Labor OSHA Construction and General Industry Regulations, industry best practice Safety Programs and NYCDOB Regulations.
- Possess significant and extensive knowledge of safety management principles (SMS).
- Thorough understanding of Safety Management Systems (e.g., MAP 21, Gen Suite).
- Familiarity with National Fire Codes, NFPA standards, NYC Fire Codes, NYC Department of Health, and other local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ability to directly lead, motivate, mentor, and develop staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the workforce at all levels as well as external constituents.
- Strong decision‑making, critical thinking, and problem‑solving skills.
- Motivated self‑starter with demonstrated ability to work both independently and with others in a team environment with the ability to multi‑task, prioritize workload, manage time, and handle tight deadlines under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strategic vision and comprehensive plans and objectives.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- Display a respect for confidentiality and proven ability to navigate in high‑level situations.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16‑acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776‑foot‑tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans‑Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE: THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENTS CONTAIN INFORMATION FROM THE PORT AUTHORITY OF NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY AND AFFILIATES. IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY, PERMANENTLY DELETE THIS E-MAIL (ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS), AND DESTROY ANY PRINTOUTS.